Go out into the great outdoors with comfortable outdoor socks
Athletes typically own a range of outdoor socks for the different sports and activities they practice. You’ll find socks that are built for either hill walking, skiing, trail running or cycling in our shop. These are built to perfectly fit into the specific sport or activity's shoes. Plus, there are sizes and designs that are either tailored to men, women or children.
Outdoor socks and their uses
- Walking socks – These socks have a medium strength padding, they’re comfortable, stretchy and breathable. They have extra reinforcements at the toes and heels, and they're longer than the collar of the walking boots.
- Trekking socks – They’re longer than walking socks and are very well padded. They’re also comfortable when you need to carry a heavy walking backpack.
- Running socks – Running socks are made to be combined with lightweight running or trail running shoes. They’re guaranteed to wick away moisture during long, strenuous runs.
- Ski socks – Elastic ski socks are reinforced at the shin to protect it against pressure points. They’re also insulated, which not only provides comfort whilst skiing, but it also keeps your feet warm.
- Winter socks – These are similar to ski socks but they have fewer special reinforcements. Winter socks ensure your feet stay toasty on long winter hill walks and whilst snowshoeing.
- Cycling socks – MTB socks and cycling socks guarantee a perfect fit when combined with cycling shoes. Cycling socks are especially thin and snug-fitting, while MTB socks are somewhat more cushioned and longer.
- Multi-functional socks & sports socks – There are various models of non-slip socks with moisture-wicking properties. Whether you opt for low-cut or a knee-high model, these socks ensure high performance during outdoor sports, and they're comfortable to wear in running and outdoor shoes.
Experienced outdoor sock companies, such as Falke, Icebreaker, Smartwool and Rohner use various fabrics during production to ensure durability, great moisture-wicking properties and a superb fit. Plus, they’re often combined with high-performance fabrics.
Outdoor socks and their fabrics
- Cotton socks – Cotton is the main fabric found in sports socks, cycling socks and multifunctional socks. It’s very durable and comfortable. However, this fabric takes longer to dry.
- Merino wool socks – Merino wool is not only very warm, but it’s also odourless. The wool will keep you warm even if it gets wet.
- Synthetic fibre socks – Socks made of synthetic fibres are typically very durable and stretchy. This ensures an outstanding fit, and they won't lose their shape even after countless washes. Synthetic fabrics are quick-drying and can effectively wick moisture away. Unfortunately, synthetic socks are not odourless like merino wool socks.
- Socks made of blends – In order to combine the positive attributes of different fabrics, blends are often used in the production of outdoor socks. Blends of durable and elastic synthetic fibres with high-quality merino wool are very popular and efficient. This means that it's possible to produce socks that retain their shape and are virtually odourless. So, you’re guaranteed a great, comfortable fit.
Special socks for outdoor athletes
The recommended use for a certain pair of socks will mostly depend on its fabrics.
- Compression socks – Runners, trail runners and road cyclists use tight compression socks to promote blood circulation in the legs.
- Waterproof socks – Equipped with special waterproof and breathable membranes, waterproof socks are suitable for use in many outdoor sports and they ensure your feet remain dry even in the worst rain showers.
- Toe socks – Toe socks will feel very different whether or not you combine them with toe shoes because every single toe will have it's own cosy spot. Some people do need a little time to get used to this new feeling.